Is It Time for a Change?

Since this is a Triathlon Training (for the most part) blog I try to stay away from items of a more personal nature. I have made my missteps along the way, but I think I have held true to that more often than not.
But (you knew there was a but coming didn’t you?)……
A little background in order, for those of you who have not read the blog long or that don’t know me personally (and those that have read the blog and know me personally but have no interest in my vast and sordid past:
I did not make it through high school proper. I spent most of my education bored to tears so as soon as I could I left school (after my junior year) and went to Adult High School. I graduated from there with an A average (go figure … I was failing in high school) a full 5 months before my class did (Class of 81 – Go Bulldogs). I was playing in a couple of different bands at the time, but being from a small town like DeLand, Florida, the prospects both in music and in the job market in general was pretty bleak. Faced with this future I joined the Navy and left for boot camp in June 1981. I would spend the next TEN years of my life there. I cannot say it was all bad, but it was mostly bad. I didn’t like the long periods at sea, the IOWA situation (Google “USS IOWA Explosion” for the story. I cannot go into it here), being flown out for service in Desert Storm after only being home from my last IOWA deployment, but I did make some good friends which I still have to this day, and I saw a great deal of the world, including Russia, Australia, and all of the Mediterranean, so it had its good points.
The USS IOWA (BB-61) – Being all BAD ASS
At the ten year point I had to make a decision. I was coming out of Desert Storm and the ship I was stationed on, the USS Sampson, was being decommissioned, so I had to decide whether to re-enlist and finish out my ten years until retirement, or leave the service. I was 27, single, so decided it was time to move forward. I entered Daytona Beach Community College in 1991 and got my AA in Psychology in 1994. I then moved on to UCF and got my BA in Psychology in 1996. After leaving for a year to work, I re-entered UCF and got my Masters in Public Administration in 2000. I worked in numerous Non-Profits in DeLand, Orlando, and then Tampa, but knowing the MPA was holding me back I thought an MBA would increase my job options and salary, so I entered USF in 2005 and received my MBA in 2007.
So there ya go. Ten year Navy Veteran. BA in Psychology. Two Masters Degrees. A Green Belt Certification in Six Sigma. Pretty cool huh? Should be set huh?
Nope …
So, at the age of 49, I sit again thinking it might be time for a change.
If my marketability is not what I thought it would be with the training and education I have, what other options are there?
Here is my thinking …
If I am going to make the salary level I am at, I might as well do something I like and am truly interested in right?
So what is that?
In a complete 360 I have been developing an interest in Sports Nutrition and Exercise Physiology. At first it was just a thought … a spark of interest … something I would look up on Google when questions arose. But now I am beginning to think more seriously. This has been sparked of course by my recent forays into Triathlons and Running, and trying to understand how foods effect my performance and weight.
So what does everyone think?
Ridiculous for someone at this point in life to even be thinking about?
Maybe ….

10 thoughts on “Is It Time for a Change?

• October 17, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Do what you want to do and don't worry about your age!!!!
    kristi

• October 17, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Do what you want to do and don't worry about your age!!!!
    kristi

• October 17, 2012 at 1:14 am

I know. We have had our debates on here before about different schools of thought. 🙂

I may have given the wrong impression. I know that with all the money and time I have spent on the eduation and experience I have that I cannot, at this point in my life, totally turn my back on it. It's more of a redirection in how I use the MPA and MBA in the future, besides running reports that are not paid attention to by government lap dogs.

But I'm not bitter 🙂

• October 17, 2012 at 1:14 am

But I'm not bitter 🙂

• October 17, 2012 at 1:01 am

My dad turns 70 next Saturday… 2 weeks ago he defended his dissertation and was recommended for degree. Long story short… Do what you need to do to make your life yours!

• October 17, 2012 at 1:01 am

• October 17, 2012 at 1:00 am

I have to be brutally honest. The ex phys field is pretty saturated UNLESS you are willing to go into clinical applications, which will generally require a masters degree in ex phys, occupational therapy, physical therapy.
    If you don't mind working for a little less money, recreation facilities, NOT gyms, would be interested in someone with a dual background. They generally consider those with business skills in addition to the technical education. Same for corporate wellness programs.
    Gyms are sheisty. They prefer the barely certified idiots.
    The one thing that may be different in Florida than here is the credential required for employment in the nutritional field. Tn requires the RD, without exception. (Believe it or not, a graduate degree in nutritionxl biochemistry doesn't count. LOL.) So that could give you some options if Florida is a bit more flexible.
    It is never to late to try again and to get more education. You can't lose even if you fail to find employment. It just stinks that the bar for entry into this field is so low and is unregulated.
    You will love the coursework. There us much that is debatable on the theory side and various schools of thought. I would highly recommend a cell biology and biochemistry class along with it. Nutrition and metabolic pathways are covered in much better detail. You would be interested in endocrinology as well.

• October 17, 2012 at 12:45 am

Absolutely not! It is never to late to create the life you want. And once we stop learning, we stop growing! I say go for it!

• October 17, 2012 at 12:45 am

• October 17, 2012 at 12:17 am

Not at all!! I am thinking about it. I think with the path we have taken, exercise, we become engulfed in it. You are the type of person always wanting and willing to help people! I truly think you would rock at it, especially because you have a “history” you are relatable. 🙂

Comments are closed.