Rocking in Miami

So I entered the race in Miami with the hopes of bettering my time from my first half marathon. Training leading up to this one was not as good as I had hoped it would, with life getting in the way, and the stress of a new job, and other issues that come along with every day living, including having NO time to train after work. But I went into the day with expectations and a new plan.

We spent the fist night driving to Miami, not leaving Tampa until 8:30 Friday night. 220 miles later pulling iton South Beach (taking the long way around since every damn road was closed). Finding the hotel wasn’t bad but actually getting to it from all the damn people was an adventure. I swear to you that Miami is not much different than what you see on the Jersey Shore. Full of goombah’s walking around shirtless. Was ridiculous.

The hotel was one street away from the beach and the starting line, which was great. Obviously a redone house, but was really nice and comfortable.

So anyway, we slept in a little the next morning and then headed over to the Expo. Very well run, picked up a few deals, and got to meet and talk awhile with a couple of Biggest Losers contestants (Dan and his Mom). Very nice people and seemed genuinely interested in triathlon’s. They were talking us into the Spartan race in February as a member of Biggest Loser team. We will see.
We had a great dinner supplied by one of Jennifer’s patients. Very nice guy and was very open and hospitable, showing us the food and sights. We got to bed around 11 for a 5:00 AM wakeup.
The morning of the race I experienced something I have NEVER expereicned before a running race; butterflies. I get them all the time before triathlon’s, but for some reason that morning I was very anxious and nervous. I think it’s because I didn’t feel like I had trained enough and was worried about doing well, instead of just thinking about running my race.
We ran into a former Team in Training teammate, Cindy, at the corral. It was great to see her, and went a way to getting my mind of the starting gun.
She and Jennifer ended up giving me a good pace when we started, for as long as I kept them in sight (about 6 miles in).
The race began and I actually was feeling really good. I planned on keeping my pace around 13:00 through the whole run to see if that helped with the foot soreness, and that pace seemed to fit well. I ran and walked the intervals I set, and forced my pace down and pushed away the urge to run faster when Jenny and Cindy started leaving me behind. The RnR’s have a band every mile, and that served to keep you moving. When you heard the music you knew you were coming up on a mile marker. Very motivating.
The best band name seen on the run: Pee Wee Lewis and the Hues. Classic.
We hit rain around mile 6 coming off the first bridge. The inclines were hideous, but I handled them better than I thought I would. I just kept to my splits and stayed focused, though the rain did cause me an issue at the end.

Oh…My…God

The last incline .. a view from the top
I made it to the end intact and no sore feet. I did have a slight pinch I was feeling in my left toes that was odd. Turned out to be this:
Jenny was there waiting for me and then went for her ritual post-race icing.
My final official time was 3:17:00, but the time I stopped to help stretch a fellow runner who was cramping was 10:00, so I am counting it as 3:08:00, which is 5 minutes faster than my Wine and Dine time from 10/1/2011. I can’t imagine still having another 13.1 miles to run, which I will have to do in 27 days, but I will give it my best shot, and try to get a lot more time running in, somehow.
I will end by saying how much I enjoyed this race. It was well laid out and very well organized. I was a bit worried after reading about the problem they had in Vegas, but Miami was great and I will be back again. A great race, and a nice relaxing weekend.

8 thoughts on “Rocking in Miami

• December 14, 2011 at 1:44 am

Great job and you even had a 10 minute stop in there to help a runner out! Wow, that is a beautiful thing. I have had a few of those same lovely blisters but thankfully they don't hurt while you are running. Next time, a light coating of aquaphor, vaseline, body glide or powder in your sock should do the trick unless it totally pours rain which may have been the case for you. Pace will be your best friend come January at the marathon. Smart pacing will get you to the finish!

• December 14, 2011 at 1:44 am

• December 14, 2011 at 1:49 am

Ok, I'm not sure if the first comment went thru so thank goodness I copy it to a clipboard before hand so I don't lose it. I've been burned too many times by Blogger. Here it is again:

• December 14, 2011 at 1:49 am

• December 14, 2011 at 1:52 am

I will remember to be proactive next time KC. I never had blisters before so wasn't even thinking about it. The rain was pretty heavy for about 10 minutes, and then hit it again near the end. Only felt a “pinch” near the end, so was shocked when I saw it. Actually thought it looked kind of cool. LOL

• December 14, 2011 at 1:52 am

• December 14, 2011 at 1:52 am

I am thinking even a slower pace to get through the marathon, and then if I have gas in the tank to get faster at the end. Like you said, all about planning.

• December 14, 2011 at 1:52 am