The Creeper

My lack of motivation has a name.

From now on he is known as “The Creeper”.

I am not sure why he is a male, but it seems to fit. I was listening, as I am want to do at times, to old southern rock and this song came on by Molly Hatchet …

He’s tall, he’s short, he’s fat, he’s thin.

He’s out for vengeance. He’s out to win.
The road he walks is dark and dim.
Don’t let him catch you out on a limb.
He’ll cut your throat, baby,
He’ll stick you in the back.
Drive off in your Cadillac.
He’s more trouble than you think.
He’ll kill you sugar, leave you in the drink.
Say, it’s going to be a cold dark night
Oh, when the creeper comes along.

I have felt him creeping up on me lately. It started out slow; a missed run, a skipped bike spin. Then he started showing up at meals, uninvited, putting things on my plate like mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, and … yes … cheesecake.

He made me eat them, saying to me things like “it’s ok … you have a run tonight”, but then when it was time for the run He was there again … but … Big Bang Theory is on tonight …. and you didn’t set the DVR. You CAN’T miss BBT!!!!

I never really knew he was there, until I stepped on the scale and saw the 5 pound weight gain …

Bastard!!

The excuses mounted ….

“I hate working out alone”

“The gym is always too crowded”

“I don’t want to risk injuring my foot so I can do the LONG run this weekend”

” The trainer is SOOOO boring”

“It’s too dark by the time I get home”

“I have 5 months before the next big race!”

On … and on … and on ….

The Creeper needs to die ….

Now …

Anyone know how to help?

8 thoughts on “The Creeper

• November 20, 2011 at 1:02 pm

JC, I understand completely. I just now am breaking free of the Creeper. I think what helped me was actually taking time off, BUT I wish that I didn’t use “recovery” as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted. Right now, I’m training, but not on a plan. I usually have coach that does all my workouts. I told him that I was taking November off and was just going to have fun in my training. So, this might sound bad, but I have no plan now…and I love it. I wake up and think…”i’ll go play in the water for 2000yds” or “time for a long ride, just because…”. I’m usually a fanatic about following my workouts. I always wear my garmin and monitor every single minute it seems. I never would listen to music because I wanted to “feel” the moment, hear my breathing, and pay attention. BUT this month, I’ve tossed the garmin in plenty of my workouts and have been jammin’ out to fun tunes on my ipod. I’ve had SO much fun getting back into the swing of things this way! I’m looking forward to Dec 1’st now, when I will start some more structured training for Galveston 70.3. Finally…free of the Creeper! You’re gonna break out of this, just let your body chill and have fun with your training, and keep you diet clean. 🙂

• November 20, 2011 at 1:02 pm

• November 19, 2011 at 2:33 am

He does not go quietly Jenny. 🙁

• November 19, 2011 at 2:33 am

He does not go quietly Jenny. 🙁

• November 19, 2011 at 2:32 am

KC: Maybe because I am still relatively new to this it is easier for the Creeper to get in my head. I do feel better after I do it, but still having the hard time pushing. It was easier when Jenny had the time to get out there with me, but all of our time is now just the weekends, and I think that's part of it. I need to get better on my own, but I have always been better when I had to be there for others and not just myself.

• November 19, 2011 at 2:32 am

• November 19, 2011 at 2:21 am

Creeper must die. You must be strong and starve him to death by motivating thoughts and getting those miles in.

• November 19, 2011 at 2:12 am

I'm not sure what the answer is JC. I only know that i feel way worse, physically and mentally when i start missing workouts. Knowing that i don't want to feel that way motivates me to get it done even if i'm just going thru the motions. I can't remember which number it is in my latest blog post of the list of 100 ramdoms but excuses are just reasons we give ourselves to fail. Someone once told me that and i never forgot it.

Comments are closed.