The Report from Fort DeSoto

It’s official … I can now call myself a triathlete and show the tattoo on my arm and say “Yes. I have done one”. But man oh man was it harder than I expected it to be.

First issue was related to my site. Once you set up your transition area you are not allowed back in. Now….I wear glasses…which I obviously cannot take on the swim with me so I had to leave them with the bike … which mean I could not see until I got back to car to get into wet suit and grab goggles, which I had to wear to be able to see. Am I the only one who wears glasses? Can they not figure out a way to accommodate those of us that do wear them??

The swim sucks .. compounded by the fact that my body decided that, while in staging area, it wanted to poo. Breathing issues almost immediately caused me to back stroke and side stroke the whole race. The current and waves were strong, bouncing me around, which ended up with me swimming 1.1 miles (according to GPS) for a half mile swim. (35:14). Not bad for a mile. Sucks for a half mile.

My T1 transition was very bad at over 14 minutes. Getting out of the wet suit, into a shirt, shoes, hydrating, etc just took too long. I will have to work on it.

The bike went about as expected. Head winds were bad which pushed my speed down. Otherwise I was averaging in the 18mph range. Seems I can’t get a break with a calm ride just once. (43:14). Planned on 45:00.

T2 was really good at 3:56, but only had to rack bike, change shows and hat.

The run started out bad. I was exhausted and obviously wasn’t fueled well enough. Legs felt like granite and walked a lot the first two miles. TNT coach ran back to me and caught me at mile 2 and got a second wind. Finished in 1:06:13 which is not my best pace but planned on 1:20:00 so much better than I thought I would do.

Lots of lessons learned. Total time was 2:40:56. On the site it isn’t showing my run time and looks like I had a DNF. I think they closed the course at hour 3, but I went in next to last wave so not really fair not to count my run since I did finish in allotted time. Oh well. I know what I did. 🙂

8 thoughts on “The Report from Fort DeSoto

• April 16, 2011 at 10:57 pm

You did excellent! A performance to be proud of…keep going strong.

• April 16, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I jsut sent an email to AltVista asking why my results are not showing. even with a 3 hour cutoff I came in at 2:40:56. The results should be there. It's not like I DNF'ed and people that dropped are actually ranked above me. I don't understand.

• April 17, 2011 at 1:23 am

Way to go! I know after my first tri, i was on cloud 9 and didn't care that my time was slow. Now that you have done one, you can start working on refining the little things. Did you put anykind of lubricating spray before putting on your wetsuit? Like Triglide spray (Hunter sells it). Your wet suit slides right off with that stuff, otherwise you are stuck in it and will struggle to get it off. All those little tips and tricks you will pick up along the way and if I can help, i'm more than happy to share the wealth. I'm still learning new things all the time too, especially by reading other like minded bloggers. They are a wealth of knowledge and some of the most supportive people out there even if they are in another state.
    Again, congrats and time to get ready for St. A's.

• April 17, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I did use glide but need to find something better. I totally panicked in the water, which is disturbing since I worked on that issue a lot. I gutted though it because I didn't want to let my teammates down, nor come home and have to tell my son I didn't finish it.

The other racers, and people I have met online, have all been supportive. It's what I like about this sport the most. Everyone helps everyone. It's an amazing community of sports people.

• April 17, 2011 at 2:12 pm

KC: Maybe you can answer this question ….

One of the biggest problems I had during the set up was my glasses. Because I can't get back to transition after set up I had to leave them with my bike, which meant I could not see on my way back to car to get in wet suit, then had to wear my goggles after that so I could find my way to water. Shouldn't there be a way to let us that wear glasses a way to drop them off at the water and pick them up on the run out? There was no “special needs” set up that I saw.

• April 18, 2011 at 11:30 am

I emailed AltVista about my times not showing up and there appears to have been a computer glitch with a few times. It has been fixed now and my times are in there and official. Still don't understand how some have no times showing for each split but have a total time. Not sure how that works.

• April 19, 2011 at 12:04 pm

JC, That is a great question and one that I can't answer. I don't wear glasses so I've never come across that issue but it is a very valid one for sure. They absolutely need to have some kind of accomodation for something like that. They have to realize that not everyone wears contact lenses. What I would do is maybe shoot the race director an email asking about that, especially for future reference. I'm sure you are not the only one. Definitely contact whoever you need to at St. Anthony's and see how they can wrok with you on that. I would think if they make accomodations for challenged athletes, they can certainly do that with a set of glasses.
    Great seeing you at the pool. You were busy too so I didn't want to mess up your focus. Keep up the consistent training, it really pays off.

• April 19, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I actually did just that KC and got an answer really quick. Basically they said they had offered a table in the past but racers were hesitant to use it for fear of losing them, or someone picking theirs up by mistake, so they stopped. They are going to look into it for the next races, perhaps a box. I don't know why they just can't offer a table where you can mark a special needs bag with name and race number.

Great seeing you too. I was worried you'd think I was snubbing you but I was trying not to bother your work out.

Comments are closed.